Listen to a 20-minute Podcast about LEAPYEAR and hear LEAPNOW Founder, Sam Bull, interviewed about the program.
LEAPNOW has a superlative preferred Travel Consultant, Karen Chieppa at Global Vision Travel. Karen has been booking travel for LEAPNOW students and groups for over a decade. Call her toll-free at 800-386-4449!
Links to organizations that provide services and education that complement and augment LEAPNOW programs:
- Oxbow School - For high school juniors and seniors who are passionate about making art, Oxbow offers the nation’s only semester program that combines high-level instruction in the visual arts with academic subjects, all taught in an interdisciplinary, college-style environment. Located in Napa, California - an hour from the LEAPNOW campus.
- ReMix Retreats: This new organization targets 14 – 21 year-olds currently living in the foster care system and gives them the opportunity to participate in 3 weeks of self-exploration activities, wilderness expeditions, and personal growth opportunities in the Sierras.
- Susan Mayginnes - A former member of our staff, and our favorite trainer and leadership development consultant in the Bay Area.
- PassageWorks Institute - Based on the work of Rachael Kessler, PassageWorks is dedicated to transforming the culture of classrooms, schools and districts so that the inner life of students and teachers is safe, nurtured and welcomed. They create curriculum and teach teachers.
- BDanced.com and GoldenBridge.org - Two organizations created by Melissa Michaels. She creates program that teach people how to create their lives through their bodies and creative expression, and that facilitate conscious rites of passage.
- The Hendricks Institute - Transformative seminars for conscious, loving relationships. An excellent place to learn skills needed for living in a conscious and intentional way.
- Nine Gates Mystery School - Two direct and experiential 9-day trainings that introduce you to the mystery of being human. These trainings incorporate Druidic teachings, African dance, rites of passage, study of the chakras, Christian mysticism, Hawaiian Kahuna teachings, and much more.
- The Work of Byron Katie - Transformative weekends and week-long intensives that foster true mental clarity and peace through a simple but rigorous process of inquiry into our belief systems.
- Carpe Diem International Education - Three-month travel semesters in Africa, South America, Central America, Australia/New Zealand/Fiji, and India designed for college students, GAP year students, and high school seniors. Programs that were formerly run by LEAPNOW. Great programs to do if you want travel programs without retreats.
- Productive Learning & Leisure, LLC - Experiential learning vacations, courses and workshops focusing on personal growth and enjoyable living.
- Places of Peace and Power - Sacred Sites and Pilgrimage places of the world - Features hundreds of lovely photographs, intriguing essays, maps and bibliographies by National Geographic photographer Martin Gray. Martin traveled in more than 100 countries to produce the book Sacred Earth. His amazing photo of the Golden Temple in north India can be seen at our India Group Page.
- South America Explorers Club - A non-profit, membership based organization offering help and advice to travelers in South America, as well as clubhouses around the continent. Visit for books, maps, weekly events and much more.
- TEAM Program - Tamiscal High School - Marin County, CA - A great junior year that features community service, wilderness adventure and ropes course leadership - alongside a demanding college prep academic curriculum.
- Alternative Education Resource Organization (AERO) - A non-profit organization founded in 1989 to advance learner-centered approaches to education. AERO is considered by many to be the primary hub of communications and support for educational alternatives around the world.
- Ojai Foundation - Based in southern California, Ojai uses a sustainable-model educational sanctuary to teach living in right relationship with each other and the earth. They host council trainings, rites of passage retreats, a ropes course challenge, permaculture workshops and more for youth and adults.
Programs and Resources doing Rites of Passage work as well as programs specifically for young men & women:
- The School of Lost Borders - Based in central California this school offers short-term vision quests and rites of passage training. One of the oldest and best in the business.
- Rite of Passage Journeys: A Seattle-based not-for-profit organization providing intentional rites of passage experiences and rite of passage education. They offer programs for children, teens and adults. Journeys is admired nationwide for its commitment to soul-work that honors deep human values and the earth.
- The Man-Making Blog
A collection of resources for boys and men.
- Boys to Men
Rite of Passage weekends for boys 13-17.
- The ManKind Project
The home of the New Warrior Training.
- ReTribe: A New Jersey based organization that runs short-term transformational programs for children, teens, young adults and adults.
- Any College
- Colleges that Change Lives
- College Board Online
- Careers and Colleges
- Peterson’s College Search
- Princeton Review
- U.S. News & World Report
- The Common Application
- College Link
- BrainTrack's US Colleges & Universities
- Affordable Colleges Online
- Collegeology - Bob Dannenhold & Robyn Campbell, Seattle, WA. Some of our very favorite college consultants out there!
- Bella: Our favorite boutique for "all things beautiful" at 302 Center St., Healdsburg, California. 707-431-2910
- Leader's Challenge - great programs to engage youth in the Denver, CO area
- Walk for Kindness - A movement to raise awareness of the effect of kindness in ordinary — and extraordinary — human interaction. By walking for kindness we raise our own consciousness as well as that of others by embracing and exemplifying kind action.
- Healing Quest - Wilderness journeys for healing and recovery - based in Colorado.